By the end of 2020, LES’ five-year project on 91st Street and Rokeby Road had completed its second phase of construction with staff move-in slated for 2021.
This LES Operations Center in south Lincoln was constructed based on several major factors, including the current and future growth of the community and LES’ service area, customer response and travel time to support services across the community, and the mitigation of risk involved in housing LES’ entire fleet in a single location at our Walter A. Canney Service Center in north Lincoln.
The LOC was built to green building standards in sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials and resources selection and indoor environmental quality. Other green-building features include:
- Programmable roller shades on the window front to reduce energy consumption.
- LED lighting and solar picnic tables outdoors.
- Electric-vehicle charging stations in the parking lot.
- A natural preservation area with native grasses and a pond.
- Geothermal heating and cooling.
With the planned LOC came the transition out of the historic Lincoln Electric Building downtown. As part of this move, renovations began on LES’ Customer Service Center at 2620 Fairfield St. in 2020 and are set to conclude in 2021.