Stay safe when using a generator.
- Connecting a generator properly to your home or building is very critical. Doing it incorrectly is dangerous and can be deadly to you and the line worker who restores your power. The only safe – and legal – way to connect your generator is through a properly installed “double throw switch.” Contact an electrician to learn more.
- You are required to notify LES of your generator installation so LES can approve the final wiring before you put the generator into service. Access the requirements, agreement and application.
- Read all operating instructions and manufacturer warnings before using the equipment. If the information is unclear, contact the manufacturer or dealer.
- Connect only those appliances needed during an outage directly into the generator.
- Your city or county building department must inspect any generator that is permanently installed.
- Never use gas-powered generators indoors or in an enclosed area.
- Never operate a generator while standing in water.